WCCHS Respiratory Care Department is staffed by NYS Licensed Respiratory Therapists. The role of the Respiratory Therapist is to evaluate and treat cardiopulmonary (heart and lungs) health. This includes teaching patients and their families about the importance of maintenance of there pulmonary health problems.
Licensed Respiratory Therapists provide the following services within the hospital:
- Aerosolized medications, metered dose inhaler (MDI) devices
- Monitoring and maintaining life support systems, airway management, ventilator management
- Arterial blood draws, CPAP and bi-level management, patient education
Pulmonary rehabilitation is a service that is designed for those who experience lung problems such as:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung cancer and lung cancer surgery
- Lung volume reduction surgery before and after lung transplantation
Pulmonary Rehabilitation includes exercise classes and education about your lung disease or condition. Pulmonary Rehab may help you participate in activities with less shortness of breath, as well as teach you how to “live” better with your lung condition.
Pulmonary Function Testing
Pulmonary function tests are a group of procedures that measure the function of the lungs, revealing problems in the way you breathe. The tests can determine the cause of shortness of breath and may help confirm lung diseases. Pulmonary Function Tests are commonly referred to as “PFTs.”
Patient care is our priority. Our department is located on the ground floor of the hospital. Our highly trained therapists are here to help you breathe easier so call today to schedule an appointment at 585-786-2233, Ext. 4540 and 4545.